"Focus on obstacles, and all you will find is more obstacles..."

Do you want to be a...


Year 12 Preferred Subject Prerequisites VOC Course

Also known as Property Conveyancer and Settlement Agent.

Conveyancers prepare the documentation required for the purchase and sale of real estate and attend to property settlements.

Conveyancers must have a sound knowledge of land law, land division, surveying, property development, property management, strata administration, insurance, taxation, business analysis, investment and contracts.

Conveyancers may communicate with clients, real estate agents, banks, building societies and finance companies, as well as government departments and rating authorities.


    Conveyancers may perform the following tasks:

  • prepare and advise on contracts for the sale of real estate
  • conduct title searches and make enquiries with various government departments, local councils and water authorities
  • prepare and advise on mortgage documentation
  • attend to exchange-of-contracts and settlement procedures
  • prepare and advise on lease documentation


  • good communication skills
  • good organisational skills
  • integrity and sound judgment

Interest Area



Year 12 Preferred Subject Prerequisites VOC Course

To become a conveyancer you usually have to complete an accredited course in conveyancing and undertake two years of practical experience. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your HSC/ACT Year 12 with English. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information.

Additional Information

    To work as a conveyancer in NSW, you must be licensed by NSW Fair Trading. To be licensed you must be over 18, have completed a conveyancing course and gained 1 year of practical experience.

    In the ACT, there is no licensing or registration for conveyancers, however, anyone performing the duties of a conveyancer must be working under the supervision of a solicitor.


Conveyancers are generally self-employed or work in conveyancing businesses, law firms, financial institutions, banks, building societies and some government departments.

In NSW, conveyancers employed by financial institutions generally specialise in finance and must have experience with land transactions. Those who are self-employed may also need to maintain accurate records related to running an office, such as accounts.

Due to the lack of formal recognition of conveyancers in the ACT, conveyancers are not able to operate by themselves. Practitioners generally work for law firms as paralegals or solicitors, specialising in conveyancing.

Similar Jobs

More Information - External Links

Job Outlook for Conveyancer Property Services Licensing, NSW Fair Trading Australian Institute of Conveyancers

Other Jobs by Interest Areas...

Artistic Creative Jobs Clerical Administrative Jobs Figures Computational Jobs Helping and Community Jobs Influencing and Personal Jobs Literary Jobs Medical Jobs Outdoor Jobs Practical Manual Jobs Scientific Jobs Technical Engineering Jobs

Job Search? Look for and press ENTER.

Remember: This is an EXACT match, so please use whole words only

This search looks for a match with the WHOLE keyword/s you enter. In other words, abbreviations like vet won't find veterinarian. Slang terms like brickie won't locate bricklayer 🙂

COL's JOB Guide

Please contact us to notify errors or suggest improvements.

Australia's Careers OnLine : Professional Careers Advice for job seekers on the 'net since 1995!