"Your network of contacts is only real if you use it!"

Do you want to be a...

Trade Measurement Officer

No Formal Qualifications Year 12 Preferred Interview Other Qualification VOC Course Licence

Also known as Weights and Measures Inspector.

Trade measurement officers monitor the marketplace with respect to goods sold by measure to ensure the accuracy of claimed or advertised measurements.

Typical transactions using measurement include fuel purchased for motor vehicles and goods purchased by weight in supermarkets.

The work is performed at service stations, licensed premises, stores, supermarkets, factories and warehouses.


    Trade measurement officers may perform the following tasks:

  • test weighing and measuring equipment for accuracy
  • calibrate weights and measures to national measurement standards
  • conduct accuracy checks on goods sold by weight or measure (pre-packed food, for example)
  • apply the trade measurement law and investigate any fraud and prosecute if necessary
  • prepare briefs of evidence and instruct legal staff in the conduct of enforcement actions in the courts
  • provide advice and deliver education and promotion programmes to traders and licensed repairers


  • enjoy technical work
  • good communication skills
  • able to perform calculations accurately
  • Australian citizenship or permanent residency

Interest Area

Technical/Engineering Scientific Figures/Computational


No Formal Qualifications Year 12 Preferred Interview Other Qualification VOC Course Licence

You can become a trade measurement officer without formal qualifications, but completion of Year 12 or a trade qualification would be an advantage. You will need to apply to the National Measurement Institute who will assess your suitability. If your application is successful, you will undertake both formal and informal training on the job. On successful completion of this training you will be awarded VOC qualifications in Government (Trade Measurement) and Government (Investigation).

Additional Information

    Trade measurement officers are required to hold a drivers licence.

    You may need to pass a medical examination as part of the application process.


Trade measurement officers are employed by the National Measurement Institute, a Division of the Australian Government Department of Industry.

Vacant positions are advertised on APS Jobs. Contact the National Measurement Institute for further details.

Similar Jobs

More Information - External Links

Job Outlook for Trade Measurement Officer National Measurement Institute Australian Public Service (APS) Jobs

Other Jobs by Interest Areas...

Artistic Creative Jobs Clerical Administrative Jobs Figures Computational Jobs Helping and Community Jobs Influencing and Personal Jobs Literary Jobs Medical Jobs Outdoor Jobs Practical Manual Jobs Scientific Jobs Technical Engineering Jobs

Job Search? Look for and press ENTER.

Remember: This is an EXACT match, so please use whole words only

This search looks for a match with the WHOLE keyword/s you enter. In other words, abbreviations like vet won't find veterinarian. Slang terms like brickie won't locate bricklayer 🙂

COL's JOB Guide

Please contact us to notify errors or suggest improvements.

Australia's Careers OnLine : Professional Careers Advice for job seekers on the 'net since 1995!