Industry GroupingsOne way of looking at jobs is by looking at their Industry Group.
The following is one way of classifying industry groupings:
- Primary Industry
- concerned with the basic growing, catching or extraction of products
- Secondary Industry
- concerned with the refining, processing or manufacturing of goods
- Tertiary Industry
- concerned with the selling of goods and/or the provision of services
You have three tasks to complete with the below list of different types of industry:
- Decide whether each activity would be a Primary, Secondary or Tertiary Industry
- Name one LOCAL organisation which carries out that activity
- Name two different jobs which might be found in each category
DO NOT use the same local business or job title more than once.
Activity Industry Group Local Business Jobs Administration Agriculture Armed Forces Art & Design Building Catering Communication Community Services Cultural Education Electricity Engineering Entertainment Finance Health Insurance Law Management Manufacturing Marketing Medical Mining Processing Protection Publication Recreation Retail Science Social Transport Wholesale
Remember your tasks were to:
1. Decide whether each activity would be a Primary, Secondary or Tertiary Industry
2. Name one LOCAL organisation which carries out that activity
3. Name two different jobs which might be found in each category
What activities are NOT carried out in your local area?
Which of these activities do you think you might like to work at?
Now have a think about some other occupational groups
Back to Job Information index.