"25 hours a week minimum is needed for an effective job search!"

Do you want to be a...

Career Development Practitioner

VOC Course Subject Prerequisites University Course Year 12 Preferred Working With Children check Police Check

Also known as Career Adviser.

Career development practitioners help people of all ages to manage learning and work throughout their life.

They provide information, advice and assistance relating to a wide range of matters, such as career planning and management, personal development and looking for work.

Career development practitioners may deliver a service to clients in conjunction with other professionals working in allied fields.

They may consult with other agencies, accepting and passing on referrals where necessary.


    Career development practitioners may perform the following tasks:

  • use various assessment tools to help people identify their interests, skills, aptitudes and abilities, as well as work and lifestyle preferences, and relate them to the world of work
  • counsel individuals on education and career options
  • develop and deliver career education and work training programmes
  • help students find work experience placements
  • help clients with jobseeking strategies, writing resumes and applications, and developing interview skills and career portfolios
  • assist clients to market their capabilities to potential employers
  • assist clients to balance work with family needs
  • help clients to navigate career transitions
  • provide an information and referral service on education, training and employment opportunities
  • consult with teachers, community groups, government agencies, businesses and medical practitioners
  • prepare reports and maintain client records
  • undertake research in areas relevant to their professional roles


  • able to motivate and inspire people
  • able to relate to a wide range of client groups
  • good communication skills
  • aptitude for counselling

Interest Area

Clerical/Administrative Helping/Community Service Influencing/Personal Contact


VOC Course Subject Prerequisites University Course Year 12 Preferred Working With Children check Police Check

To become a career development practitioner you usually have to complete a VOC qualification in career development. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information. You may be able to study through distance education.

Entry to this occupation may be improved if you have a degree in an area such as education, human resource management or psychology, followed by a postgraduate qualification in career development. To get into the degree courses you usually need to gain your HSC/ACT Year 12. Most universities in Australia offer degrees in these areas. Entry to postgraduate courses usually requires completion of an appropriate bachelor degree.

Universities have different prerequisites and some have flexible entry requirements or offer external study. Contact Open Universities Australia or the universities you are interested in for more information as requirements may change.

Additional Information

    To work in schools in NSW, you must obtain a Working with Children

    Check (NSW) or a Working with Vulnerable People Check (ACT). A National Police Certificate may also be required. Contact the institutions you are interested in for more information.


Career development practitioners may work with students in schools and other educational institutions, with staff in industry or with the general public in private practice. Career development practitioners are employed by state and territory education authorities, independent schools and colleges, and other educational or training organisations. There are limited openings and competition for available places is strong.

Similar Jobs

More Information - External Links

Job Outlook for Career Development Practitioner Career Development Association of Australia NSW Teachers Federation teach.NSW Department of Education and Communities (NSW) NSW Working with Children Check Office of Regulatory Services (ACT)

Other Jobs by Interest Areas...

Artistic Creative Jobs Clerical Administrative Jobs Figures Computational Jobs Helping and Community Jobs Influencing and Personal Jobs Literary Jobs Medical Jobs Outdoor Jobs Practical Manual Jobs Scientific Jobs Technical Engineering Jobs

Job Search? Look for and press ENTER.

Remember: This is an EXACT match, so please use whole words only

This search looks for a match with the WHOLE keyword/s you enter. In other words, abbreviations like vet won't find veterinarian. Slang terms like brickie won't locate bricklayer 🙂

COL's JOB Guide

Please contact us to notify errors or suggest improvements.

Australia's Careers OnLine : Professional Careers Advice for job seekers on the 'net since 1995!