News: We're phasing in a new design. With some great new & updated content! Enjoy :)
"60% of the best jobs in the next 10 years haven't been invented yet."
QUESTIONS TO ASK
Before you decide to accept or reject a particular job, there are many questions you can ask which will provide enough information to make a proper decision.
This page offers some suggestions of questions you could ask when finding out information about a job.
Some of these could even be asked in a job interview.
- Briefly describe the main tasks that are involved in the job.
- What would I be expected to do?- handle money, tools, people, sit, stand, lift, walk, be indoors/outdoors, with others/by myself, doing hard/easy tasks, enough variety in job, what would I like/dislike about this?
- Who would I be working with and how closely?
- Are other workers my age or younger/older?
- Would I deal with customers, suppliers or visitors? Who? When? Where? Why?
- Who can help me if I need it?
PERSONAL QUALITIES/SKILLS NEEDED
- What general abilities and special skills are needed?
- Can these be developed later if I don’t have them now?
- Does the job suit those school subjects I did well in?
- Are any special qualities, manner, behaviour or character needed? Is a strong physique necessary?
- Have I any physical DISabilities (include health problems) which could prevent me doing this job?
- What level of education is required?
- Am I doing the right subjects at school to do this job?
- Am I doing well enough in these subjects?
- What alternative levels of entry are available?
- What special job training is needed?
- Do I need to do any special courses?
- Where are they done?
- How long will it take?
- Are they full-time or part-time?
- How much will it cost?
- Who pays for it?
- Do I get paid during my training?
- Can I get any scholarships or allowances to help me meet any costs?
- What higher levels will this job lead to?
- What must I do to get further in the job?
- Will there be jobs in the future?
- Is the industry growing, stable or declining?
- What are the chances of promotion within a particular firm, or with other firms?
- Does the firm provide courses or time off for study?
- Will training and experience in this field allow me to get a different job later on in life?
METHOD OF ENTRY
- Is there a standard method of entering the job such as an apprenticeship, traineeship, etc.?
- If so, what are the special conditions for it?
- Are there any age, height, weight, etc. limits?
- Do I need any special checks done? Police Check? Working with Children? etc
- Is it hard to get a position in this type of work?
- When, where and how often are vacancies advertised?
- Is it a popular job with others?
EFFECTS ON MY LIFESTYLE
- How much will my work interfere with, or improve, my life outside of work?
- How will my free time be affected-overtime, taking work home, travelling time?
- What would my family and friends think of this job?
- How would it affect my dress, appearance, manner, health, social life?
- What unpleasant strains will this job place on me?
- Will I get the satisfactions I want from this job?
- What hours are usually worked?
- When are the breaks during the day?
- What is the pay?
- How often will I get paid?
- Are there any extra financial rewards – overtime, bonuses, etc.?
- Are any earnings on a commission basis?
- What are the retirement provisions?
- How much sick leave and holiday leave have I got?
Job Study Sheet
Our job study sheet will help you record the answers you need 🙂
BACK to Job & Course Info index.