IntroductionIt's unfortunate that most people do not put much thought into their choice of career. It's a very complex decision to make... and maybe that turns people off doing what they should, often settling for something that doesn't suit them.
And that's a shame, considering that you'll be working for in excess of 40 years!
Imagine... 40 years of doing something that you weren't really sure about?We'll try to simplify the process a little (but not too much) by looking a how you might go about choosing a movie to see (because the process is basically the same).
Imagine... the effect that could have on the other parts of your life?
Hopefully you'll spend a bit more time and effort in choosing your career than you'd spend deciding what movie to see...
ANY decision you make involves you going through a process before you actually reach a decision. For example, if you wanted to go to see a movie with some friends, you might:
- Get the entertainment section from your newspaper or online
- Look at what movies are on - when and where
- Discuss with your friends the various movies available
- Check out some movie trailers
- Work out which one to go and see
- Work out how to get there (public transport/car etc)
- and finally, GO to the movie!
In the process of making this decision, you needed to know:
- information about the OPTIONS available
- information about whether you might find them suitable to YOU, and
- help and ADVICE!
You balanced up the information you knew about the movie, with what you knew already about YOURSELF. If it was a very violent movie, and you objected strongly to violence, then you most likely would NOT go. Similarly, if you are not a "romantic" type of person, you would not pay to see a love story.
At the same time, various pieces of ADVICE that you'd picked up - your friends' comments about the movies, what you had seen (on TV/Internet?) or heard (from other people) or read (in magazines/online?) - also helped you make up you mind to reach a final decision.
This is EXACTLY the same process you need to go through when choosing a career to follow...
- find out information about the JOBS available
- work out if that job suits YOU
- get some help and ADVICE along the way to make sure all bases are covered!
Considering a normal career is usually a lot longer than a 1.5 hour movie :) - then you really should put some serious thought into it all.
Now......go on to find out who you are!
Back to Choosing a Career index.